Become A Friend
Who are the Friends?
The Friends of the Hampshire and Wight Trust for Maritime Archaeology are a group of people with a keen interest in their maritime heritage and a strong desire to see it preserved. The Friends attracts members from all walks of life, from career seamen, divers and yachtsmen to amateur archaeologists, walkers and families. Anyone is welcome to join and we offer activities that everyone can participate in and enjoy.
What do the Friends do?
Our Friends are welcome to be as active as they wish, we provide lots of opportunities to get involved and meet other Friends, including talks, workshops, trips and social events and also the chance to get involved with real archaeological fieldwork. As a charitable organisation we rely heavily on the efforts of volunteers to assist on our archaeological research projects. You don’t need to have any qualifications or experience, as we can always find a useful job for the total novice! You will be working alongside professional archaeologists and will find you learn lots more than you ever would from a textbook!
What do Friends get?
As a Friend you will receive:
- A membership pack
- Free unlimited admission to the Sunken Secrets exhibition at Fort Victoria
- Copies of our ‘Friends Bulletin’ newsletter
- A copy of our annual report
- Opportunities to attend talks, workshops, and social events
- Invitation to attend our AGM and annual presentation
- The chance to get involved in archaeological fieldwork both underwater and on the foreshore
Join our Friends
It’s easy to become a Friend! All you need to do is fill out an application form and send it to us with a cheque, or fill out a bankers order, for your annual subscription.
The following membership schemes are available:
- Adult full member £14.95
- Joint full members £19.95
- Student/OAP member £9.95
- Underwater Explorer £7.95 (under 15)